- Oregon has one of the largest average class sizes in the nation. These large class sizes mean that students are missing out on the individual attention they deserve. Schools also lack teaching assistants and other professional supports in the classrooms and school buildings.
- Nearly 45% of all Oregon classes have 26 or more students, with some classes as large as 56.
- Oregon has the third lowest high school graduation rate in the country.
- There are only 158 school librarians total in Oregon — less than one per district.
- Oregon’s school nurse ratio is 1:5481, more than four times the national recommendation.
- Oregon has half the school counselors than nationally recommended staffing levels.
- Lack of support for students with behavioral issues has created a crisis of disrupted learning because students with unmet needs are not getting the help they deserve.
- Programs have been cut at every level – art, music, PE, library services and so many more important pieces of a well-rounded education are missing.
- 94% of teachers spend money out of their own pockets on classroom supplies to make up the difference between what their students need and what districts can provide.
All week we will be recognizing the hard work by the classroom teachers as well as our music and PE teachers, and speech specialists. This is our chance to show the staff our genuine appreciation and support for all that they do for our children throughout the year.
We still need parent volunteers to help collect and put together the merci flower bouquets Tuesday and bring food donations for the all staff luncheon Thursday.
May is Walk and Roll to School Month!
Get your wheels ready! All month long our school will be celebrating and there many opportunities for your family to participate. Each week in May we will have fun activities to encourage you to get moving.
May 7th: Stop by to get a raffle ticket and your choice of sticker, tattoo or pencil in the morning
May 15: Join us on the playground after school for a bike rodeo.
May 22: Park your car at St. Vincent de Paul church site on West Amazon and Fox Hollow. Madame Courtney will be leading the walk to school from the parking lot. Please plan on accompanying your student on the walk.
May 29: Bike party with fruit and prize drawings. You could win a scooter, a Get Air gift card, or a bike ride with Madame Courtney!
We hope to see you walking and rolling!
Yearbook Order Form
Students from the Yearbook Club are proud to present the 2018-2019
Yearbook. We are selling it for $10.00 or $5.00 for families on the Free and Reduced lunch plan.Please fill out the form so that we can correctly deliver the yearbooks to your children on Yearbook Day. Also, please consider donating the cost of a yearbook to a child who cannot afford one.
Look for the order form coming home this week.
Please turn in orders to the Fox Box located outside of Mme Bernadette’s office.
CHARLEMAGNE 2019 TALENT SHOW!
Get those routines ready! The annual Spectacle de Jeunes Talents will be held on Thursday, May 23rd from 6-8 pm at the school gym.
The deadline to sign up for the talent show is Friday, May 10th. The deadline to submit music is Friday, May 17.
3 ways to sign up this year:
Preferred: Submit online using this Google Forms.
At your convenience: Print and fill out at home.
Fill out in school. Forms are on the bulletin board across from the office.
Forms must be signed by a parent. One parent signature per form is required.
Charlemagne students are encouraged to present any form of talent—musical, theatrical, comical, literary, athletic, intellectual, or magical.
Solo acts should be under one minute and 30 secs; group acts under two minutes.
Students may only perform one solo act and one group act or two group acts.
Rehearsals will be held in the Charlemagne gymnasium on May 15 (Wed.) & May 16 (Thur.) during lunch recess, and May 17 (Fri.) after School.
Performers must attend one of the rehearsals to be guaranteed a place in the show and the act should be performance ready.
Practices are optional and available at open gym time during the recesses on May 10 (Fri.), 13 (Mon.) and 14 (Tue.)
Music submission deadline: Friday, May 17. It’s really a lot of work to compile music!
We are looking for volunteers! Thank you for your willingness to help make this event as successful as possible. Click HERE to sign up.
Contact me if you are available/interested.
Camilla Johnston, camillajohnston@
Soiree Items Still Available:
We still have 2 amazing pay to play opportunities as well as our colorful cohort photos available for purchase. View the class photos HERE!
Rose Children’s Theatre: Summer Camps
SEHS Soccer Camp 2019:
At SEHS Soccer Camp, your child will enjoy all the high school soccer team players as counselors, learn from their years of experience, and have a lot of fun improving his or her skills and confidence! Games are played that are age appropriate for their grade.Kids are grouped by grade so they will see a lot of old and new friends. Each soccer player receives a new soccer ball.
- June 24-27, 2019 — 9am-2pm
- South Eugene High School Turf Field/Open to all students entering Grades 1-9 in the Fall
- Cost: $140 for 1st child* $120 for 2nd child *Free and Reduce Lunch $70
Register at: Seathletics.com/main/
to attend their upcoming volleyball camp June 24, 25, 26, and 27.
Opportunities for Supporting Charlemagne:
Site Council Representative:
Additional Volunteer Opportunities
- Teacher Appreciation Week Volunteers
- Talent show volunteers
- PTO Co-Chair** (next year)
- PTO Asst. Treasurer (next year)
- PTO Secretary **(next year)
- Volunteer Coordinator (next year)
- Host family recruitment assistant
- Yearbook Committee (next year)
- Social Media Coordinator
Hosting an intern not only helps the interns feel more integrated into our community, but also provides an invaluable opportunity for cultural exchange for your children and the whole family. If you think you might be interested in hosting in the fall or spring next school year, please email us with any questions, or to get a host family information form.
Finally, a huge thank you to those currently hosting, and all those who have hosted in the past. Without your openess and hospitality, we would not be able to have this wonderful intern program!
Please contact our host family Coordinators:
Olivia Hardin, Helen Jetter& Cynthia StengerRiplinger at charlemagneinternprogram@gmail
Direct Drive Continues:
• Send a check to Charlemagne PTO at the school: 3875 Kincaid Street, Eugene, OR., 97405.
For your records, our tax ID number is 46-1825220.
We recognize not every family can contribute equally to a direct drive request. We also know our families give in other equally important ways and are grateful for the time spent in classrooms and at community events. We recognize all types of support are necessary and valuable to the success of our school!
Participating eScrip Retailers:
While shopping this holiday season please consider supporting these businesses as they will donate a percentage of your purchases to the school. This is free money for our school of the purchases you already are making. All you need to do is to sign up and keep your information up to date.
Market of Choice: 1) go to escrip at https://secure.escrip.com/
signup/index.jsp; 2) Type in ‘Charlemagne French Immersion Elementary’; 3) Register your payment cards; 4) Shop with your registered cards. Register your rewards card HERE:
Amazon Smile: 1) go to https://smile.amazon.com/; 2) type in ‘Charlemagne at Fox Hollow PTO Company’ & then select. AmazonSmile uses the same log in as your regular Amazon account. But you must shop at smile.amazon.com to contribute.
- Fred Meyer’s Community Rewards Program: Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card at www.fredmeyer.com/
communityrewards. You can search by name (Charlemagne PTO) or by the non-profit number (QJ541)